Sunday, April 29, 2007

#23 YouTube

I am familiar with YouTube from my many friends who send me crazy videos (such as the famous Diet Coke and Mentos act and Mary Poppins recut as a horror film) and I agree that it can be addictive. I posted an old anti-drug PSA that I used to see on TV from YouTube's site (though you have to sign up to do this).

Here I'll embed my very favorite YouTube video of all time, one of fainting goats. These are goats who are genetically predisposed to "faint" (all their muscles freeze up and they fall over) when startled.



As for how libraries can get in on YouTube, they already are. There are plenty of library-themed YouTube videos, including this one that was made by a library in St. Joseph County IN for their staff day and parodies a Madonna video. I am not sure if anyone that wasn't a member of a library staff somewhere watched this, but it definitely made the rounds. Could this make libraries cooler in the eyes of YouTube audiences?

It would be a great place to post video of library programs (not sure if there would be a liability issue here, would we need permission to record and post the authors, etc. who do our programs?). Storytimes could work, though some creative videography would need to take place so that someone could actually see the book on the small YouTube screen.

No comments: