Sunday, April 15, 2007

#18 Wookin' Pa Nub...

I was really excited by Rollyo, because I feel that there are definitely times when I wish I could skip all the garbage that's out there and just search "good" sites. And I like the idea of being able to decide what a "good site" is.

First I tried the suggested search roll called Public Domain eBooks. I found out that Bartleby has full text eBooks and even include biographies of the author, like this one for Crime and Punishment. What a great resource for students who need a book that's checked out! At least, a classic, public domain book...

I searched Rollyo for bookclub rolls, and I found one that was okay, but I got tired of all the interspersed "sponsored links."

Next I went over to Google Custom Search. I couldn't figure out how to search for other people's search engines, so that kind of sucked. Then I found this blog post from on "unofficial news and tips about Google", which gave two work-arounds for that. I searched the KCLS & Neighbors custom engine for bookclub, and got three hits...not great stuff, but at least no annoying interspersed ads.

I created a roll with Rollyo, since then people could search and find my roll if they wanted to, without having to know weird work-arounds. Here's the Find A Book Search Roll that I did.

No comments: