Tuesday, May 8, 2007

#26 What 27 things means to me


I remember when I first heard about the 27 Things project. I was pleased that other staff would have the opportunity to become more aware of these technologies, but I didn't really think that I would learn anything new. Well, contrary to what my husband thinks, I can admit to being wrong...so, okay, I was wrong (a little).

There were definitely several lessons that covered technologies with which I am already closely familiar, but even these were a nice refresher. They also allowed me to think more deeply about how libraries could use (or not use) these technologies to their advantage.

I think the lesson that was the most helpful to me was on RSS feeds. I had always been just a tad uneasy with this technology (I have no idea why) and this forced me to figure it out. I now use an aggregator to see most of the things I used to have email subscriptions for, which has significantly reduced the volume of my inboxes, thank goodness!

I also never blogged before, and I can't say it's something I will continue. I used to keep journals, and that was very therapeutic, but I would never be able to use a blog that way, since it's so public (and there's just something about a pen and blank journal that appeals to me more than typing, even in pink). And I don't have a strange mission (like cooking every recipe in Julia Child's Art of French Cooking within the span of a year) or a passion I wish to share, or that I think anyone but my own friends and family would want to read.

This was a nice way to explore some new technologies in a laid-back and safe environment. I know I am not expected to be an expert in everything, but I like knowing a bit about most of the most popular developments of online communities.

Overall, this has been a positive experience. I would do it again, if only to have the opportunity to play with new things, and on work time, too!

No comments: