Wednesday, May 2, 2007

#25 Audio books on Overdrive

I started using my own MP3 player just so I could listen to audio books in the car. I have neither CD nor tape player in my car, so I listen to one earphone and drive, hope that's legal! I am very familiar with both of the services KCLS offers for eAudio Books, NetLibrary and Overdrive.

I find the Overdrive site a pain to use. The advanced search is the only way I use it, but this feature is a bit hidden. If you browse using the left-hand tool bar, it can be very confusing and overwhelming (just like all our other web pages, there are just too many options in that 10-mile-long left-hand column). It's a little easier to go through the OPAC, though many patrons are confused by the difference between the pre-packaged audio books on Playaways, and the eAudio Books accessible through NetLibrary and Overdrive. Here is my take on these services:

NetLibrary - Pros
  • Easy browsing options

  • No additional software to download

  • eAudio books only (rather than several types of format together

  • Popular titles (including the Amelia Peabody mysteries read by Barbara Rosenblatt)

  • All titles are always available

  • You can download as many titles at a time that you want


  • NetLibrary - Cons
  • Files are not subdivided, so you have to trust pausing on a single 13-hour track (and G-d help you if you accidentally bump your player and have to fast forward through 12 hours to get back to your place)

  • I hear rumors that this service might not be with us much longer :(


  • Overdrive - Pros
  • Files are broken up into tracks so easier to bookmark

  • Lots of titles, including young adult and children's


  • Overdrive - Cons
  • Hard to browse/search

  • Have to download their software in order to download eAudio book files

  • Poorly designed web interface

  • Many titles have limited number of available copies

  • You may only have 20 titles checked out at a time


  • That is all.

    No comments: