Tuesday, March 20, 2007

#9 MySpace...dun dun DUN!

Few other topics have distressed libraries as much as MySpace. Reading the comments on Librarian in Black's blog regarding the library's involvement on MySpace just confirms this.

I must say that I am a bit disturbed by the KCLS MySpace page. Like, why is the library 19 years old? And whose favorites are those? I mean, I get it, we are trying to use the new social networking technologies to go where our users are, but I think we aren't quite getting it yet. It just seems square for "the library" to have a MySpace page, and I certainly won't be its friend! How embarrassing! How much of a nebbish do you need to be to list the library as a social connection? Sorry if that's harsh, I mean, I'm a librarian, for heaven's sake, and even I don't want to be friends with the library...

I could be totally wrong. I just think KCLS will only have friends such as authors, staff, library school students, and MySpacers looking to get their friend count up.

No comments: