Tuesday, March 27, 2007

#14 That Library Thing you do...

I actually already use these, and have accounts with Library Thing and Shelfari. In fact, I heard about Library Thing last year, and shared it with my coworkers. One in particular treasures it above all others, and has made friends through social networking within Library Thing.

Since I am already familiar with these two tools (and love them), I decided to try GuruLib, which I had not heard of. I really like the features that keep track of your book loaning, such as sending you emails when a book you have loaned out to someone is "due." There is also a "price watch," which allows you to set the price you want to pay for items in your wish list, and then alerts you when the item is available for that price. You can also catalog documents besides books, such as PDFs and DOCs.

Another nice thing is that you can retrieve book info with the bar code number, rather than having to wade through the multiple entries users have entered.

On the whole, though, the interface on Shelfari is the prettiest, and since Amazon just bought Shelfari, there are some unique capabilities there, too.

No comments: